Going through so many life changes in such a short span of time, as well as being around/visiting people who are established in their careers and family has led me to stop ignoring the fact that adulthood is looming on the horizon and contemplate my current path.
I have led a life filled with comfort and I would not take back a second of it. However, I feel that I have wasted these 18 years to a certain extent. I’m not the girl who goes out often, I’m not the girl who takes risks, I never have any crazy stories to tell you (but I gladly listen). The next 18 I want to look back on and not have this feeling. This seems to be the perfect opportunity for a new beginning, I am about to move to another country, sans my support network of parents, best friends, and boyfriend.
My mom has made ‘goal lists’ of sorts my whole life, yes thats where I get my list making compulsion i’m afraid (thanks mom). Anyways, she organizes them into short and long term goals and dreams. Some are general hopes for the future, think move to Paris, while some are more immediately do-able like painting the living room.
During her recent visit I was reminded of these lists that I had previously never thought about very much and I brought them up. She proceeded to ask me what would be on mine and I honestly had no answer.
There is so much I want to cram into my lifetime, much of which would be impossible to accomplish in conjuction with one another. This trip has made me incredibly self reflective, maybe its being away from home and sick or just working and being formally introduced to the real world, who knows.
I have been attempting to pin point some things that I would like to have in my life, and I think I have begun to nail down a few.
- -Live abroad
- -Travel to Greece, Spain, Chile, Ireland, and the Caribbean
- -Do something to change someone (or preferably multiple someone’s) life
- -Write a book
- -Be featured in a major publication (nyt, the new yorker, the chicago sun times, any magazine..really anything)
- -Have multiple homes in places I love
- -Get in a fist fight
- -Decorate a house to reflect myself fully
- -Become a yoga instructor
- -Go to cooking school
- -Open and run a sandwich/coffee/book store
- -Be an au pair for a summer
- -Plant a garden from scratch
- -Run a marathon
- -Live a year on strictly the bare minimum
- -Live a year ridiculously extravagantly
- -Go on an absolutely luxurious vacation
- -Get married in Castine
- -Break out of my comfort zone
- -Not be so selfish
- -Fly in a private jet
- -Speak another language (aside from my sketchy french)
- -Have a family. You know kids, hubby, dogs, the whole deal
- -Win a difficult tennis game
- -Go to a spa and get the works
- -Ski in the alps, preferably with my dad
- -Climb another 14-er
- -Cry so hard I throw up (from happiness or otherwise)
- -Tell someone I despise exactly how I feel about them
- -Have a The Hangover kinda night
That’s where I’m at as of now, some of them are odd I know but I try not censor my thoughts on this blog (within reason) so there you go.
Creating an oasis in a home is high on my priority list for my life as of now, being in a generic dorm room unable to decorate has worn on me a bit and I have become obsessed with finding pictures that reflect things I would like to encorporate into my future homes.